Walk to Cure Diabetes
- June 8
- 09:00 - 12:00
- Delaware Park & the Buffalo Zoo
- This event has passed.
The Buffalo Walk to Cure Diabetes
Sunday, June 8, 2014
The Buffalo Zoo & Delaware Park
Registration: 9:00 am
Walk Begins: 11:00 am
Please support the T1D in your life by forming a team, raising funds and participating in JDRF’s Walk to Cure Diabetes! The funds raised will support JDRF’s research efforts to cure, treat & prevent type 1 diabetes (T1D). Corporate, family & school teams are welcome!
On Walk day, more than 3,000 members of our community will come together & celebrate their efforts to raise funds to help find a cure for type 1 diabetes. Registration will be at the red & white striped Tops tent in Delaware Park, near the Zoofari Courtyard area of the Buffalo Zoo.
The walk course is 1.75 miles around Ring Road in Delaware Park and circles back to the same area, where walkers will enjoy a picnic lunch. After lunch, our fundraising participants will gain entry to the Buffalo Zoo.
The first step is to register your team at www.walk.jdrf.org. JDRF will then send you a Team Captain kit & will contact you to see if you need help getting started. We ask each team member/walker to raise funds & become part of our effort to make a difference in the lives of the more than 15,000 T1Ds in Western NY.
More than 80% of every dollar raised will directly fund our mission to cure T1D.
Please contact Jennifer at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 716.833.2873 for more information.
BUFFALO WALK DAY INFO:
Tuesday, June 3: Pre Walk Pick Up & Drop Off
- To avoid Registration the morning of the walk, you may turn in team funds to the JDRF office on June 3rd between 9 am – 7 pm & receive your t-shirt, food coupon & zoo wristband prior to the walk.
- At Pre-Walk Pick Up/Drop Off, you will receive food coupons & zoo wristbands for team members who have raised funds online and/or turned funds in to our office. T-shirt coupons will be given out to those who have raised $100 or more by June 3rd. Additional donations may be turned in at the walk.
WALK DAY DETAILS
- Check In – Registration takes place in Delaware Park in the Tops red & white striped tent. Registration & other Walk festivities will be located in Delaware Park, across from the Zoofari Courtyard & near the Zoo’s outside Buffalo pen.
- Walk Course – Participants will walk once around Ring Road/Meadow Drive in Delaware Park, approximately 1.75 miles. There will be a stop with glucose packets & water.
- Picnic Lunch – Once walkers loop around the walk route back to the Registration/ festivities area, they will be able to enjoy a delicious picnic lunch, featuring Sahlen’s hot dogs & snacks. Tables & chairs will be available in the Tops tent and in the Zoofari Courtyard. Since we anticipate more than 3,000 walkers, YOU MAY WANT TO BRING EXTRA WATER OR SNACKS FOR YOUR TEAM MEMBERS.
- Zoo Entry – All registered, fundraising participants will receive a wristband for the zoo at Registration. After the walk, these participants will gain admittance to the Zoo through the Zoofari Courtyard.
REGISTRATION PROCEDURES FOR 2014:
- Express Check In – Team Captains who participate in the Pre-Walk Pick Up/Drop Off Day will receive qualifying team members’ coupons & wristbands, allowing those “Express Check In” walkers to skip the Registration tent.
- All Funds Raised Online – Any walkers who raised all funds online and/or turned in all funds to JDRF prior to the walk will not need to fill out & turn in a collection envelope. Just check in at Registration and the volunteer will verify your funds on the “Pre Event Funds Report.”
- Walkers Turning In Donations – Each walker who is turning in funds at the event must use their own collection envelope. Be sure to indicate any online donations in the space allotted. Please do not share an envelope with team or family members. Please email email@example.com if you need more envelopes.
EVENT PARKING: Our Walk participants can utilize any of these parking lots:
- Buffalo Zoo – the parking lot at Parkside & Jewett costs $4 per car. A token needs to be purchased inside the zoo.
- Nichols School – park in the main lot in the back of campus by the baseball diamonds.
- Medaille College – Parking lot at Parkside & Route 198 (Agassiz Circle).
- Ring Road – Limited parking will be available along Ring Road. Enter at Amherst Street to avoid our walk crowd.
- Street Parking is available, but please be sure to only park in legal street spots and do not block fire hydrants, driveways, etc.
- Please car pool when possible!
Tops Fundraising Events:
Wednesday, June 11: Tops-Lockport 15th Annual JDRF Classic
Oak Run Golf Course
11:30 am Check In; 1:00 pm Tee-Off
$125 per person/$500 per team
Includes: Green fees/cart; lunch/steak dinner; “2 Closest to the Pins” & “2 Long Drive” contests; 1 mulligan per player; “Hole in One” contest
Please contact Mike Shanahan at (716) 439-4366 for details or to reserve your foursome.
Thank You to Our Local Platinum Partner for a Cure!