JDRF/Women & Children’s Hospital of Buffalo, Diabetes Center presents:
“Diabetes in School: An Update for School Nurses”
Wednesday, October 1, 2014
Registration: 5 – 5:30 pm * Program: 5:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Maryvale Middle School Cafeteria
1050 Maryvale Drive, Cheektowaga, NY 14225
**Dinner will be provided
• An overview of Type 1 vs. Type 2 diabetes
Why are Type 1 and Type 2 increasing?
• Basal/Bolus insulin delivery using pens and pumps
What makes them an option for families of young and older children?
• Sick days and emergency care
What is a school nurse to know and do?
• Carbohydrate counting
Why can the children eat like they do?
• Continuous glucose sensors
• JDRF Research Update
• Question and Answer Period
Didactic Centers will be available for hands on learning experiences which include:
• Glucagon -we will have demo teaching kits for you to take back and practice with
• Insulin pens and pumps -the companies have been invited to help allow more time for hands on
• Carbohydrate counting– look at school lunches and some local restaurants and see how to calculate carbohydrates first hand
Please email email@example.com or call (716) 833-2873 to RSVP or if you have any questions.
Thank you & we hope to see you there!